Saturday, June 11, 2011

The smell of ozone filled the empty halls, big magic had been summoned in this place or a major "fire" fight had taken place. Odd that a human compound would have the smell of pure magic. My intuition told me that there was something off, and remembering I was out of the circles magic that constrained my magical abilities, I scanned the compound for any signs of life. As far as my magically augmented senses could tell the only signs of life where in a room on the other side of the compound, but they barely registered. Sending my emotions on a wild roller coaster ride. I was thrilled to be free and that escape from the compound seemed like it was going to be a walk in the park. But worried that my friends where those week signs of life and I wasn't going to get to them in time.

I rushed thru the twisting mace like hallways, whispering a silent prayer to the universe, hoping my friends where all ok. Guilt began to weigh in, I should have told them that somehow my ability to predict possible futures had rendered foggy visions of the outcome of our mission. I possibly could have saved their lives, I could have avoided all this only if I had not been so stubborn. Now only where my friends lost or worst dead, I had essentially handed one of our biggest advantages to the enemy.

Lyceous... Lyceous! Is that you! Huthesis's melodic voice invaded my thoughts.

"Yeah, it's me. Where are you?" I whispered back, the warm feeling of hope rushing thru my body, fighting the guilt away.

Not sure, it's dark and my magic is not working. I'm surprised I can do this much. Adam must have taken at least one anti-magic ward down. But when you are done feeling sorry for yourself you should go back to the compound and get re-enforcements. These people aren't regular humans.

What I wanted to say was, "I noticed, I spent the last few hours getting slapped around by some human-shark hybrid. Something weird is going on." but what came out was a loud "humph!" as something hard as stone hit me on the side of my head. I went ass over tea kettle, my vision went blurry, and the warm feeling of rushing blood covered my entire head. "You son of a bitch, you are gonna pay for that!" I yelled scanning the area for whatever or who ever hit me, and kicked forward with all my might. No augmented strength just pure rage. My foot connected with something solid and a the loud cracking sound of bone breaking and an inhuman roar broke the ringing in my ears. With another primal roar the six foot something fully suited and masked human, or humanoid thing in front of me rushed me. It came at me so fast that it startled me long enough for it to crashed into me, making us roll around the way you do when you are spinning uncontrollably down a hill, minus all the laughter. Our rolling came to a hard stop with the masked humanoid on top of me. It let out another primal roar that sent chills down my spine and began to wail on me. I called on my magic and prayed that it would react before I passed out, and released it with the intent to make a solid physical shield. A loud bang, and another high pitch roar, told me that both me and my magic had been quick enough. I took the chance to augment my strength with a quick spell, and pushed the beastie off.

"Let's see what you are made up princes!" There I go again with my classic cheesy movie hero lines, I can't help it, it's a really bad habit but it's so hard to quit. I like bringing bad humor into dire situations it makes me feel like I at least have control of something. Beastie did not appreciate my humor and let out another of those half animal half man roars and tried to rush me one more time with his freaky speed. I was ready for it this time and used my magic to build a solid shield in the shape of a brick wall covering the entire hallway. Beastie crashed into it as hard as a tsunami and threatening my shield to collapse, but the fact that my shield held its ground startle Beastie and gave me the chance to go on the offensive. I whispered another enchantment and augmented my speed, and with my already magically enhanced strength went all cage fighter style on Beastie taking out all my frustration of losing my friends, being trapped in a magical circle with some Shark-Human nurse beating on me and the fact that somehow it had fooled my senses into thinking it wasn't there.

It took a while Beastie put up a hell of a fight, making me wonder if I should brush up on my combat magic skills. The downside of being a magical jack of all trades like me is that sometimes the little bit of everything you knew could at some point be not enough. Luckily this hadn't be that time, but it reminded me that I better start picking up a few more tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment